Krishnapuram Venkatachalapathy Temple – History
The temple dates back to 9th Century AD. There is one inscription in the temple and five copper plates from the 16th century indicating various grants to the temple. It is understood from the inscriptions that the temple was built by Krishnappa Nayak (1563–72), the son of Viswanatha Nayak, the founder of Madurai Nayak dynasty. Krishnappa is attributed to the construction of the precincts around the temple and the soaring temple tower. The copper plates from Sadasiva Raya indicate grants to light lamps perpetually and lay gardens. There were six villages to allow the continuous functioning of the temple.
Krishnappa Nayak also laid four streets around the temple for the smooth passing of the temple car. The villages Ariyakulam, Kodikulam, Kuthukaval, Puthaneri, Pottukalam, Sriramakulam and Alikudi were donated to the temple for the performance of daily poojas. An Agraharam with housing for 108 Brahmin families well-versed in Vedas and agamas was established. Deivachillayar (Mayilerum Perumal), the son-in-law of the minister of Viswanatha, played a key role in the construction of the temple.
Detailed account of his work in the temple is extolled in Deivachillayar Vidu Thoothu by Kumaraswamy Avadaniyar and also in the History of Tinnelvelly by Caldwell. The village was originally named Thiruvenkatapuram and got changed to Krishnapuram during the rule of Krishnappa Nayak. The temple was originally administered as a sub temple of Ramaswamy temple of Thirunelveli, but came under the administration of Nellaippar temple from 1973. It came under the dominion of Tiruchendur Devastanam from 1986.